Paperwork progress

Posted: December 17, 2013 in Uncategorized

I am almost ready to apply to the DVLA to register the bike so I can ride it on the road. 

When doing this the DVLA will want proof that the duty and VaT due on an imported vehicle has been paid. This is normally provided by Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise (HMRC)  I have no such paperwork and I had bought just the chassis and an incomplete engine.

I phoned the DVLA and they told me to email HMRC explaining the situation and attaching a filled in form C384 with all the details I had. I explained how I had built the bike up over the years after starting with just the frame and engine. After a few days I received a letter from them saying they were satisfied any duty had been paid and I can go ahead and register the vehicle. This was a pleasant surprise as I expected them to present me with a bill for some arbitrary amount… Here is the letter:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s